Makes 8 | Prep: 10 minutes + resting | Cook: 30 minutes
4 PersonalPoints per baguette
DF, NF, VEG, V
- 280g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 5g dry yeast
- Lightly dust the WW Mini Bread Mould tray with flour and set aside.
- Combine flour, yeast, ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ cup (60ml) lukewarm water in a medium glass or stainless steel bowl. Gradually pour in a further 150ml lukewarm water. Mix with a wooden spoon until it forms a sticky dough. Cover and set aside for 30-45 minutes, until slightly risen.
- Use wet hands to knead dough on a lightly floured surface for about 10-12 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Shape into a log about 32cm in length. Divide into 8 x 4cm-long pieces and place into prepared bread moulds. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rest at room temperature for 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until doubled in volume.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Fill a shallow-sided baking tray with water and place on bottom shelf of oven (see tip). Use a sharp knife to lightly score about 3 incisions into each baguette. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and crisp. Stand for 5 minutes before gently turning out onto a wire rack. Lightly dust with flour and allow to cool completely before serving.
Cook’s tip: Filling a tray with water and placing in the oven creates a moist environment for the baguettes to steam and helps to produce a crispy crust.
Scoring the baguettes allows the air to escape, helping to produce the air pockets inside the bread.